5.21.2012

Motivation Monday 16: Good Mood


Have you ever woke up on the wrong side of bed? I am sure none of you out there have, but I do from time to time, and the very LAST thing that I want to do is climb out of bed, put on workout clothes and tennis shoes, and make my way to the gym. In my grumpy mind, it just does not make any sense.

When you are in a bad mood, doesn't it sound so much better to just sleep it off until your read to face the day with a smile? In the past, I would vote for staying under the covers rather than lifting a weight any day.

Now that I am older and much wiser, I know that a good morning workout can pull you out of your funk. It is actually scientific!!

When you work out your brain releases endorphins, adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. If you do not know what all those things are, just know they are chemicals that your body naturally produces, and actually improves how you feel. After a workout, your muscles can relax deeper, helping ease tension and stress... which we can all use.

While exercise is not an actual treatment for depression, I recently read an article that discussed how studies show exercise does increase the positive mood in depressed individuals. Additionally, the body releases less immune system chemicals that can worsen depression. Obviously, a good workout also raises the body's temperature, which has been shown to have very calming effects.

So, if you are feeling down or sorry, do not stay in bed. Get up and do a few jumping jacks, a couple of push-ups, and a bout of crunches. Those simple items will help increase the blood flow and put you in a great mood to tackle on those impossible Mondays and stay motivated for the rest of the week!!



In Health,
~ Q. Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment